Types of folding chairs
When it comes to portable furniture a roll away bed and fold up chair come to your mind.
Today we want to look at fold up chairs. Folding chairs are often used for any indoor or outdoor event.
They are most practical as well as less costly.
You can use them when you are hosting a party, a meal, a meeting among other things.
Foldable chairs save space when you are using them and they also save on storage space since you fold them and stack them together.
This makes then a great choice in cases where you lack space for storage.
They are also easy to move around by hand which makes them handy when planning for your guests.
These chairs are very affordable which makes it easy to buy in bulk.
Foldable chairs are made of different materials that determine their use.
Your choice of a type of foldable chair depends on whether you want to use it for an indoor or outdoor event.
There are several chairs in the market today and they have different uses.
This article looks at different types of chairs so that you can make an informed choice.
We will also look at how to reupholster your chair so that it is comfortable to sit on.
Some of the most popular types of folding chairs are:
- Plastic– this is one of the most common materials used in foldable chairs. It is easy to clean by wiping. These are made of metal frames and have the backrest and the seat molded out of plastic. They are great to use when having large events because they do not get damaged by water and are easy to clean. They are durable, easy to move around and fold up flat and easy to stack up when storing them. In terms of looks, they are not the best-looking seats and may not be very comfortable on the back.
- Metal– these are also very popular types of folding chairs. They are suited for both indoor and outdoor use. Because they are made of all metals, they are sturdier and durable. These are available in a variety of forms, they can be cushioned, padded or just painted plain steel. As much as they fold flat, they are not easy to stack since they keep sliding.
- Wood– these are an improvement from the plastic seats and they look good. There is a different feel that wood gives you. You also get to choose the type of wood your chair can be made of which is an advantage since you can choose different kinds of wood for different looks. They are also sturdy and can hold heavier people as compared to the plastic chairs. Their disadvantages are that they aren’t easy to stack up since they slide off. They also take up quite a bit of space when folded. They are heavier than other types of chairs and are prone to scratches on the surfaces.
- Resin– this is very suitable for outdoor events since they can withstand moisture. They are therefore easy to clean and can be left outdoors. Unlike wooden chairs, the scratches blend into their background. It is also possible to get them in different paddings and colors. However, they take up more space when folded and are difficult to stack up.
- Mesh– these chairs are a great choice for using both indoors and outdoors. Their design gives you extra comfort by the way it supports your body and its airy feel can keep you very comfortable and fresh during the summer heat. They have frames made of metal which makes them durable. They are also easy to clean and adds to the elegance of outdoor use with your sunhat and a cold drink. Their greatest disadvantage is that they are more expensive than other options.
- Padded– these kinds of folding chairs are used for some high-end events. They add some texture using cushions onto the resin, wood, and metal seats. This not only makes them fancier but also comfortable for guests to sit on for a long time. Your guests, therefore, get to enjoy the greatest levels of comfort when using these seats. Because of the extra padding, this is the most expensive foldable seat. They also take up more space to keep clean and may take more time to clean.
- Outdoor– these chairs are light in weight which makes them very portable. They are great to carry with you when going for a picnic, camping, a sporting event, or a hike. Some can also turn in a bed. They are folded and take a narrow cylindrical shape. They also come with a bag in which they can be carried for easy storage and transportation. It usually has a cushioned seat and backrest which can also be made of fabric and in some cases mesh. They also get fitted with cup holders so that you have a place to put your drinks. Because of their lightweight, they are not so durable.
- Saucer– these chairs are very cozy and have a circular shape. They are made of soft cushion which gives you comfort and allows you to curl up with your favorite book or watching a great TV show. They come in different sizes that can fit both children and adults. Their foldable design makes them easy to store and transport. They make a great addition for extra seating in living rooms. They do not like the outdoors because of padded seating although there are variations of camping saucer chairs.
What are the best outdoor folding chairs?
When you are choosing an outdoor folding chair, you always have suitability, reliability, and lightness in mind.
You are always looking for a chair that is sturdy, lightweight, and most importantly portable.
The lighter the chair is the better choice it is.
It also should be strong enough to carry a heavy load.
Most types of foldable chairs can be used outdoors.
From the above list, metal, plastic, and resin chairs make the best outdoor folding chairs.
They are foldable, light, portable, and easy to clean.
They are easy to move around and some, camping chairs come with a bag that is cylindrical which helps you to carry it around with ease.
You can leave them outside and can handle moisture very well.
All you need is to wipe with a piece of cloth to clean off any spills on the chair and you are good to go.
Depending on what you are using your chair for, the designs may vary.
For example, if you need to choose a chair for a picnic, a game, or outdoor relaxation, you may need to get a foldable chair that has additional features like cup holders for holding your drinks as you relax.
Mesh chairs also make great outdoor seats since they are very comfortable to sit in.
Their mesh design gives them an airy feeling that leaves you with a great circulation of air that will keep you fresh and comfortable while relaxing outdoors on a hot day.
They give extra support to your body and this makes it great to sit on for long hours like when you are watching your favorite game.
How can I make my folding chair more comfortable?
The most comfortable folding chairs are those that are easy to sit on and you can sit on them for long hours and still be relaxed.
From the list above, the most comfortable chairs are those that are have cushioned seats and backrests.
The metal, wooden, plastic, and resin seats can be uncomfortable if you are required to sit for long hours.
You can make these comfortable by upholstering them this extra padding that makes it more comfortable to sit on.
Can folding chairs re-upholster?
Folding chairs can be reupholstered to make them fancier and beautiful.
You can reupholster your foldable chairs by adding fabric and padding to it.
Padded chairs are comfortable to sit on and can be made beautiful by your choice of fabric.
A reupholstered chair gives it a personality that it adds to the rooms’ décor.
They are therefore a great way to add some charm to your rooms while at the same time making good use of a chair that would have been tucked away.
You need basic tools to do it yourself at home.
You can give your plain foldable chairs a facelift and make them look different.
This works well for metal, resin, and wooden folding chairs.
It might not work well for plastic chairs since plastic does not do well with hammering or riveting.
Choose a fabric that you will use to cover the seats.
The heavier the fabric, the better.
However, medium weight fabrics will still work well.
You can choose to treat your fabric using water and stain-proofing substance so that it will be easy to clean.
You can use a staple gun to the cushion.
Before stapling it together, ensure that the patterns are well aligned when arranging it onto the cushion.
Then you can rivet it to the chair. You can use a rivet gun to fasten them into place.
And your chair is ready to use!