Also known as mattress overlays or mattress tops are just a few of the common names used for the various surface cushioning that can be added to a mattress.
It is designed to lie on top of a mattress.
Does a mattress topper really help?
Made from a variety of materials, its function is to provide a layer of comfort especially when the existing mattress is worn or uncomfortable, and have been shown to improve a user’s quality of sleep.
There are two general purposes that mattress toppers serve:
1) Make a firm mattress softer
2) Remedy a shabby, sagging mattress.
Mattress toppers are a type of thick mattress pad that both provide protection and comfort to sleepers killing two birds, as they say.
When buying a mattress topper, you should determine what is that you need from it and define its basic criteria.
By sorting out a few basic things, you will certainly be able to find the best one for you.
One of the most important things you should consider when looking for a mattress topper is its thickness.
Decide what thickness would work the best for you and whether it can meet your needs and sleep preferences.
A 3 or 4-inch mattress topper might be enough and it will cradle your body, relieve pressure points and provide the right amount of support to those areas where it is needed most.
Mattress toppers generally vary in thickness from 2” to 4” although some may go up to 6 inches.
Benefits of a mattress topper?
- The topper provides a supplementary layer of comfort over your mattress. If your mattress is too firm for your comfort, then using a topper over it will counter the firmness and will make the entire system feel very soft and comfortable as per your liking.
- If you have an old mattress that is showing some wear and tear with sagging issues in the middle, then a pad installed over it will restore your old mattress. It is understandable that people are at times not willing to make the heavy investment once again for their mattress and in such situations a pad serves them as the best option. Good for your sleep.
- A topper is a very inexpensive option to add great comfort to your bedding system. If your mattress is new with poor undesired firmness or if it is old with signs of sagging then in both these situations, a topper will help you to counter all these issues in a great way but with no big pressure on your budget. A high-quality topper is estimated to be less than half the price of an average quality mattress. So, it makes worth a deal in all types of circumstances.
- The topper increases the life of your mattress as it works as a protective layer. Your mattress which is a heavy investment deserves some protection from water leakages, stains and other issues which results in the deterioration of their quality and in a limited lifespan.
- The topper as compared to a mattress is far easier to clean. The toppers unlike the mattresses almost always come with a removable covering which is easier to wash and maintain. On the other side, washing your entire mattress or keeping it safe from dirt, dust and water leakage is not easy.
- If your old mattress is starting to feel a little uncomfortable but you simply don’t have the money to replace it, then a mattress topper can smooth out those lumps and bumps (especially the memory foam versions), extending the life of your main mattress considerably.
- Another advantage of a mattress topper is that they come in a variety of choices. Just like memory foam mattresses, toppers come in a variety of depths and feels. The deeper the mattress topper the softer it will feel. They range from 5-10 and even more. The higher the density of the mattress topper, the more supportive it will feel. So, if you are looking for ultimate softness and support, a 10 cm mattress pad with 75 kg foam is unbeatable!
- They also absorb movement. If your partner is one to move a lot while sleeping, getting a mattress topper may be the thing you need to help you sleep too. The topper absorbs movement minimizing the disturbance of fidgety sleepers. This can also be a plus if you have a spring bed.
- Whether you’re a side sleeper, front sleeper or starfish- we’re confident you will be able to find a mattress topper to suit your needs. Side sleepers will benefit from a softer topper to cushion joints, while front sleepers should pump for a more supportive design to minimize curvature of the spine.
- For some companies they are actually able to produce made-to-measure mattress toppers on request which is good or non-standard sleeping places like your caravan, yacht or horseboxes. One of the companies that is known for this is the Memory Foam which produces amazing amazing mattress toppers.
What is the best mattress topper material?
When looking for a mattress topper you’re faced with a number of different materials all of which have a set price point and lifespan.
- Polyester based (synthetic – cheap end of the market – short lifespan)
- Wool or Natural Fiber (Mid end of the market – longer lifespan)
- Natural Latex (High end of the market – Longest lifespan)
On the other hand, if you are looking to help soften up the top comfort layer slightly then a Wool or Down topper is more suitable as the polyester topper compress and flatten very quickly.
Whereas a natural fiber topper can be shaken and when turning the mattress. They also compress and settle far slower meaning they last longer. If you’re looking for the ultimate in comfort then a Natural Latex topper is your best bet.
These natural mattress toppers will add a deep comfort layer to the top of your mattress and extend the lifespan of your bed. They can be fully turned and have an amazing rebound rate.