- 1 The Best Materials For Your Bed Sheets
The Best Materials For Your Bed Sheets
The closet friend to a quality bed is definitely luxurious bedding.
It is common for most people to pick the cheapest bed sheets they can find without caring much about their quality.
It is therefore very important that one chooses bed sheets of the best quality while shopping.
Good quality also ensures things like durability, which keeps you from going to shop for bed sheets every other time.
Take your time while shopping for bed sheets and you will not regret it.
We shall now look at the different materials used in making bed sheets and compare them to see which one is the best by evaluating their pros and cons.
Review of the top rated bed sheet materials
Here we go;
Silk bed sheets
Silk material is produced from silkworms.
The fabric is smooth, soft, luxurious and cool.
Above all that, it is hypoallergenic and therefore can make a great option for people with sensitive skin.
It makes very soft sheets that are luxurious and fabulous.
Generally, when compared to other bed sheet types, silk bed sheets top the list in terms of comfort.
It also makes a great gift idea.
What are you waiting for, get one for your loved one today.
This we must say is pure luxury at its best.
- They are naturally hypoallergenic and therefore suitable for people with sensitive skin and even newborn babies.
- They are quite luxurious. Actually, they are considered the most luxurious bed sheets that can be found.
- They are very soft and comfortable.
- The speed at which they remove moisture from the skin is fast.
- They are quite expensive. They actually top the list in terms of cost.
- They require very delicate care as they are delicate themselves.
These bed sheets are made from Egyptian-grown cotton.
Cotton grown in Egypt is different from cotton that grows in other parts of the world because it grows in a different and unique climate, and is harvested differently and uniquely.
The climate in Egypt is dry and warm, which is quite suitable for the growth of good cotton.
Also, unlike cotton in other parts of the world on which the harvesters use machines, cotton in Egypt is harvested manually using hands, which ensures that it maintains its long and straight fibers.
Hand-picking also causes less strain on the fibers, thus maintaining their quality and softness.
It comes in extra-long fibers which in turn produces very soft and flexible fabric.
- It is quite strong and soft compared to regular cotton. It is also more flexible as compared to cotton from other parts of the world. It therefore makes very durable bed sheets.
- It is porous, a quality that makes it comfortable and breathable.
- It is very pure since it is handpicked, unlike other cotton types that are harvested by machines and contaminated in the process.
- It gives superior comfort, hence is regarded as a luxury material.
- Deception and conning by many manufacturers who claim to use this type of cotton while in real sense they use other cotton types. Others blend Egyptian cotton with other cotton types and still claim to have used Egyptian cotton purely, and in so doing compromise on quality.
- It is expensive due to its quality and origin. The cost of a set of these bed sheets ranges from $100 up to thousands.
MicroCotton is cotton made in India.
Originally, it was used to make towels because it has the ability to dry quickly and also produce minimal lint.
However, over time it has been considered great for making bed sheets too because of such benefits.
- It is very absorbent, actually much more absorbent than regular cotton and hence good for keeping you dry throughout the night. The dryness also equates to comfort.
- It is manufactured with long-staple cotton that is extra-fine, similar to Pima.
- It is made with proprietary spinning mechanisms.
- It is more expensive as compared to standard upland cotton bed sheets.
- It is not easy to find, as it is used by very few manufacturers.
Upland Cotton bed sheets
Upland cotton makes the most common type of cotton grown in the world.
Actually, if the bed sheets you are buying are not labelled Egyptian, Pima or Supima, then it is most likely you are buying Upland cotton bed sheets.
This type of cotton is the most commonly used for the manufacture of standard cotton bed sheets and other clothing made of cotton.
However, the fibers of Upland cotton are not very long (not as long as those of Pima, Supima or Egyptian) and therefore the bed sheets produced from them are not as flexible, soft or durable as those from the above-mentioned cotton types.
Upland cotton-made bed sheets are quite cheap as compared to bed sheets made from other types of cotton.
This makes them affordable to most people.
It also makes them readily available.
However, due to their shorter fiber, they are more likely to break from the weave and cause a coarse texture and pilling.
- Its bed sheets are significantly cheaper than those made from Egyptian, Pima and Supima cotton.
- It makes soft, breathable and comfortable bed sheets.
- It is widely available since it is grown widely throughout the world, and is affordable.
- Its bed sheets are less durable as compared to those of other materials.
- It makes relatively rough bed sheets since it is made out of short fiber cotton. This causes discomfort while sleeping.
- It is highly likely to pill, which makes it coarse over time.
Pima Cotton bed sheet
The name Pima cotton originates from the native American Pima tribe that grew cotton in Arizona, a number of centuries ago.
Pima cotton is of high quality because of its long fiber.
It is grown in the Southwest of the United States where the climate is desert, just like the dry desert climate in Egypt hence the similarity in the two cotton types.
Pima cotton is very good for bed sheets because it produces durable, breathable and ultra-soft bed sheets due to its long fiber.
It is regarded as being of higher quality than standard bed sheets but is less expensive as compared to Egyptian-cotton bed sheets.
- They are quite similar in quality and strength as that of Egyptian cotton-made bed sheets.
- It produces ultra-soft bed sheets which are good for comfort.
- It is mainly grown in the United States hence readily available to people living in the States.
- It is more expensive as compared to regular cotton.
- Many manufacturers knock it off or blend it with cheaper cotton hence compromising on its quality.
Bamboo bed sheets
Bamboo material has been ridiculed for being panda bears’ most preferable snack.
However, it also produces very soft and smooth material, ideal for bed sheets.
Bamboo is also good for bed sheets because it is extra-long, preventing pilling and causing it to be very durable.
For a person who would like to combine both silk and cotton, bamboo is a good option as it has the smoothness of silk and the softness of cotton.
Bamboo’s long fiber ensures that in most cases they stretch across the whole bed sheet unlike other materials that are shorter hence require to be woven.
It is also quite durable, which gets it above other materials used to make bed sheets.
Bamboo-made bed sheets are also hypoallergenic, making them great for people with sensitive skin.
Apart from that, they are nonabsorbent as they wick away bodily fluids and sweat to keep you dry.
Bed sheets made of bamboo are also breathable, enabling you to stay cool through hot summer nights.
Bamboo is quite sustainable as it has been ranked as one of the fastest-growing plants on earth.
It is also very abundant.
Despite its numerous advantages, concerns have been raised regarding the chemicals that are used in the manufacture of bamboo bed sheets.
There have been claims that some manufacturers harvest bamboo that is of high quality, shave it down then proceed to change it into a pulp by using various chemicals.
The pulp that is made out of the process is then used to make fibers that are used to make a semi-synthetic fiber called bamboo rayon.
This makes most bamboo-made bed sheets not to be 100% natural.
There is nothing wrong with sheets made out of rayon or viscose, but it is important for one to be aware of what they are buying before they make the purchase.
- It is both smooth like silk and soft like cotton, therefore giving it an advantage above the rest.
- It has no pilling due to its long fibers that cause it to be stretchy and very durable.
- It is hypoallergenic, making it great for people with sensitive skin.
- It is moisture-resistant which makes it great for hot summer nights.
- It is more breathable as compared to cotton.
- There are various chemicals used in its manufacture, which discourages potential buyers from buying it.
- Most sheets whose manufacturers claim are 100% bamboo made are actually not 100% bamboo made.
- It is more expensive than most bed sheets such as those made of standard Upland cotton. Its cost is similar to that of Egyptian cotton.
- It does not retain heat as well as cotton bed sheets do because it is more breathable.
Polyester bed sheet
Polyester is made from mixing coal, carboxylic acid, petroleum by-products and alcohol.
The end product is a soft and durable material that is great for rain jackets and clothing for athletics but not so desirable for sheets.
This is especially due to its rough nature and the fact that it is less breathable as compared to other materials used to make bed sheets.
In order to make it softer, polyester is mixed with cotton but even so it still does not make a good material for bed sheets.
- Polyester sheets are more durable as compared to other bed sheets
- They are less expensive than most other bed sheets, including those made of standard cotton
- They are stain-resistant due to the material they are made of, which makes them perfect for kids
- They are wrinkle resistant which again makes them a great choice for kids.
- They are less comfortable than most other materials
- They are less breathable than most other materials
- They can be irritating to sensitive skin hence not good for babies
- They are not water-absorbent, hence are less cooling.
Flannel is a material made from mixing cotton, wool and other materials.
It is good for keeping people warm especially during cold winter months.
During manufacture, the materials are brushed, thus raising the nap and softening it hence making the material denser.
A soft, heavy but comfortable fabric is made, which traps body heat quite well and keeps the user warm.
Flannel’s quality is measured in weight.
The heavier the flannel, the better it is.
- It is extremely warm which makes it ideal for winter.
- It is soft and very comfortable, which again makes it perfect for winter.
- It is manufactured in many festive winter patterns.
- It is very affordable.
- It is too heavy hence not ideal for use in warmer climates or during summer. It is only ideal for winter.
- It is not as breathable as cotton which is lighter.
Linen bed sheet
Linen is a material made from the flax plant whose fibers are thicker than those of cotton.
It makes very soft and absorbent sheets that are also quite breathable.
It is quite strong as compared to cotton because its fibers are thicker. It is also crisper than cotton.
It starts off as stiff but over time it loosens up, becoming soft and supple but still maintaining its strength.
- It is soft and comfortable. Interestingly, it becomes more comfortable with time.
- It has high lustre, which makes it luxurious
- It is naturally hypoallergenic.
- It is extremely strong.
- It wrinkles easily.
- It is stiff in the beginning.
- It is expensive to produce.
It is also important for one to research well on the bed sheets they want to buy before making the purchase to avoid buying something they did not want in the first place.